Congratulations to the Eastside Catholic Band, who had a strong showing at the High School Regional Solo and Ensemble Music competition this weekend. Senior Julianna De Jesus achieved a feat no other student at Eastside Catholic has done before — qualified for state in all four solo percussion categories as well as two ensembles.
At the regional contest, students performing a solo or as part of an ensemble were awarded a rating of "I" (Superior - best), "II" (Excellent), "III" (Good), "IV" (Fair) or "V" (Poor). Students also participated in a short clinic with judges to help them improve on their instruments. Students must earn a Superior, and only one individual/group winner and two alternates in each category are selected to move on to the State championship contest. Alternates will attend the state competition if the category winners cannot attend.
Congratulations to the following students who won their category and will compete at the State competition in April:
- Mariachi Ensemble - Jeremy Gatan '23, Zander Hamilton '23, Julianna De Jesus '23, Sophia Archer '26, Evan Butcher '26, Drew Berow '26, Aaron Liu '26, Dominic Tiplin '26, Om Sareen '26, Parker Cobb '25, Matt Kim '26
- Marimba Solo - Julianna De Jesus
- Multiple Percussion Solo - Julianna De Jesus
The following students were selected as first or second alternates:
- Small Percussion Ensemble - 1st alternate - Jake Liu '23, Dominic Tiplin, Parker Cobb, Julianna De Jesus
- Timpani Solo - 1st alternate - Julianna De Jesus
- Snare Drum Solo - 2nd alternate - Julianna De Jesus
The following ratings were awarded to those who did not qualify for the State competition:
- Flute Solo - Justin Shaw '25
- Marimba Solo - Parker Cobb
- Large Percussion Ensemble - Sophia Archer, Kate Barnhart '25, Oliver Cobb '25, Parker Cobb, Julianna De Jesus, Jeremy Gatan, Jake Liu, Justin Shaw, Dominic Tiplin
- Small Percussion Ensemble - Jeremy Gatan, Om Sareen, Justin Shaw, Allie Treacy '24
- Small Woodwind Ensemble - Sophia Archer, Evan Butcher, Matt Kim
- Small Brass Ensemble - Calvin Bertsch '26, Avi Mandhana '26
- Trombone Solo - Spencer Lewis '24
- Tuba - Samuel Olson '24
- French Horn Solo - Joey Jacroux '24
- Trumpet Solo - Drew Berow
- Small Woodwind Ensemble - Sylvie Macartney '25, Raymond Hu '26
- Large Brass Ensemble - Zander Hamilton, Spencer Lewis, Aaron Liu, Sam Olson, Carolyn Vipond '25
Great job, Crusaders!