Our Connected Community
Our focus for distance learning is to support students in all aspects of school life—academics, relationship building and growth as servant leaders while prioritizing their safety and health. We seek to provide each student with a seamless education to complete the essential learning milestones and curriculum for each course.
In a distance learning environment, our focus continues to be on the quality of lessons, assignments and instruction. Our distance learning program utilizes a flexible approach that includes synchronous (live) and asynchronous learning opportunities and engagement activities. We have developed a schedule to ensure that students receive personalized attention and support that sets the EC experience apart while meeting outside a traditional classroom setting. Along with academic instruction, our teams in Student Services, Academic Resources, Student Life and Campus Ministry Departments continue to provide resources, support and enrichment opportunities for our students and families
Whether on campus, in a hybrid model or fully distance learning, curriculum is geared towards each student's success according to their individual learning needs. When distance learning is in effect, we provide:
- A combination of live and recorded lessons, Monday through Friday
- Inclusion of breaks for physical activity, meditation and time for self-care
- Additional time allocated for AP and college-level courses
- Continued virtual meetings for Mentor period as well as dedicated time for club and activity continuity
Goals for distance learning include:
- Direct communication between teachers and students with the use of videoconferencing using a single digital platform, Microsoft Teams.Teams supports robust integration with other schoolhouse tools, including OneNote and PlusPortals.
- Use of online platforms and teaching tools including Nearpod, EdPuzzle, Flipgrid and screencasting
- Time set aside for students to meet with teachers, club advisors, classmates and coaches
- Recognition of students who may have difficulty with distance learning with assistance from the Student Services Department support team
- Focus on EC Touchstones in all aspects of our learning and community